- Common Name(s):
- Rose-of-sharon, Shrub althea
- Blue Bird, Blushing Bride , Collie Mullens, Diana (white), Freedom, Helene (white/purple), Lavender Chiffon, Minerva (lavender), Pink Giant, Purpureus Variegatus, Red Heart, White Chiffon , Aphrodite (rose)
Drought and air pollution tolerant; late to leaf out in spring; prefers hot weather; spring pruning will increase flower size; flowers on new growth; moderate to rapid growth rate
- 8-12 ft.
- Alternate, simple medium to dark green leaves; 2 to 4 in. long; coarsely toothed; modest yellow fall color
- 2 to 4 in. flowers with crepe-like petals; red, white, violet, purple, two-toned; single or double; last for one day; occurs s
- 5 to 8
- Sun to partial shade; prefers moist, well-drained soil
- Erect small tree or shrub; numerous upright branches
- 6-10 ft.
NCCES plant id: 1573