This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Snowberry, waxberry, coralberry
- Poisonous Plants
- Shrubs with opposite, simple leaves with smooth margins; flowers in leaf axils, 4-5-parted, bell-shaped, white to pink or purplish; fruit a white or red-purple, berry-like drupe
- USA, NC
- Mountains and Piedmont
- Poison Part:
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Vomiting, diarrhea
- Toxic Principle:
- Calcium oxalate and possibly saponic glycoside
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN.
- Found in:
- Forest or natural area in bottomland woods; landscape as cultivated ornamental woody shrub
NCCES plant id: 1174