NC State University Brick Logo
NCCE Logo
Please submit a search term.

Omphalotus olearius (Clitocybe illudens)

This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
Common Name(s):
Jack-O-Lantern
Category:
Poisonous Plants
Comment:

This mushroom is quite noticeable due to its color, size and occurrence in clusters near trees or stumps. It is bioluminescent.

Description:
CAP orange to yellow-orange, up to 4 inches in diameter. GILLS yellow-orange, decurrent on the stalk. STALK orange to yellow-orange, usually curved. ANNULUS none. SPORE PRINT white.
Origin:
USA, NC
Distribution:
Throughout NC
Poison Part:
Patient experiences severe stomach ache, headache, sweating , nausea, exhaustion, vomiting, bitter taste, salivation and a cold
Poison Delivery Mode:
Ingestion
Symptoms:
Patient experiences severe stomach ache, headache, sweating , nausea, exhaustion, vomiting, bitter taste, salivation and a cold feeling. On set of symptoms is usually 1-3 hours after ingestion. Most patients recover in 5-6 days.
Edibility:
NOT EDIBLE!
Toxic Principle:
This mushroom is quite noticeable due to its color, size and occurrence in clusters near trees or stumps. It is bioluminescent.
Severity:
HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
Found in:
Forest or natural area, landscape. In clusters of up to 15-20 mushrooms usually at the base of a living oak or from stumps or buried wood (roots), occasionally on other deciduous trees.

NCCES plant id: 1108

Omphalotus olearius (Clitocybe illudens) Omphalotus olearius (Clitocybe illudens)
Omphalotus olearius (Clitocybe illudens) Omphalotus olearius (Clitocybe illudens)