This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Poisonous Plants
- Perennial herbs; leaves very large, arrow-shaped, long stalked; flowers in a spadix with a greenish or yellow spathe
- Tropical America
- Poison Part:
- All parts, unless cooked first
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Burning and swelling of lips, mouth, tongue, and throat, difficulty of speech
- Toxic Principle:
- Calcium oxalate crystals
- CAUSES SEVERE PAIN IN THE MOUTH IF EATEN!
- Found in:
- Houseplant or interiorscape; landscape as cultivated, tender or hardy bulb
NCCES plant id: 1011