This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Wild garlic, meadow garlic
- Poisonous Plants
- Bulbous herb with characteristic onion or garlic odor; leaves long, slender, flat or cylindrical and hollow; flowers small, 6-parted, in a cluster at the top of a naked stem
- Northern hemisphere, North America and Eurasia
- Poison Part:
- All parts; bulbs, bulblets, flowers, and stems
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea
- EDIBLE PARTS: Leaves, bulbs, and bulblets. Field garlic (A. vineale) is too strong for most tastes. HARVEST TIME: Only collect plants from areas you know have NOT been treated with pesticides. Gather leaves during spring and fall. Gather bulbs in the second year when they are large enough to use like cultivated onions. Flower stem bulblets are collected during the summer. SAFE HANDLING PROCEDURES: Wash leaves, bulbs and bulblets in warm water to remove dirt and debris. Do not use dish detergent or any type of sanitizer. These products can leave a residue. Use as domestic onions, for seasoning, or raw in salads. Bulbs can be used raw, boiled, pickled, or for seasoning. Their strong taste can be reduced by parboiling and discarding the water. To freeze onions or garlic, one should coarsely chop, blanch two minutes, drain, pat dry, and place them into plastic bags. The bulbs can also be dried for use as seasoning. Use flower bulbs to flavor soup or for pickling.
- Toxic Principle:
- CAUSES ONLY LOW TOXICITY IF EATEN
- Found in:
- Forest and natural areas, as native herbaceous plants; landscape as cultivated perennial; weedy in disturbed areas
NCCES plant id: 950