This plant has poison characteristics. See below.
- Common Name(s):
- Rosary Pea, Crab's Eyes, Jequirity
- Poisonous Plants
- The seeds, from a pea-shaped pod, are hard-coated, glossy, two-toned: brilliant scarlet-red over 2/3 of the length and black over the narrow 1/3.
- Imported to USA
- Poison Part:
- Broken seeds
- Poison Delivery Mode:
- Injestion of chewed seeds
- After delay of hours or days: nausea, vomiting, severe abdominal pain and diarrhea, burning in throat; later ulcerative lesions of mouth and esophagus; can be fatal
- Toxic Principle:
- Abrin, a protein
- HIGHLY TOXIC, MAY BE FATAL IF EATEN!
- Found in:
- Plant not grown in North Carolina; imported necklaces, rosary beads
NCCES plant id: 934